In the good old days I used to work for a website firm that would charge many tens of thousands of dollars for a website design. These days, it costs as little at US$47. But you need to know what to look for before you invest.
This article is about to take you through the process of choosing the right visual design for your website – or in plain English – what your website looks like.
If you’ve got a WordPress website, then you’ll be happy to know that there are thousands of designs out there that you can “paint” over your website. These designs have been made to help your website look great and for your potential customers to want to spend time on it.
When choosing a website design, consider these:
- Make sure that the design is “responsive”, i.e. it adjusts itself on devices like smart phones and tablets.
- Ensure the design fits in with your corporate branding. If you’re a startup business, consider whether it fits in with your logo colours and needs.
- A design that’s really new might be full of bugs. Even if it looks great, use it with caution.
- A design that’s really cheap probably won’t have many options and won’t be very flexible. Spend a few dollars extra and buy something that’s going to help your business long term.
To choose the best design for your website:
- Navigate to themeforest.net in your web browser.
- Jump to the search bar and enter “WordPress Responsive zzz”, where zzz is the type of business that you’re running, e.g. “WordPress Responsive Cafe”.
- When the search results are displayed, sort the results by:
- Best Sellers – this shows a list of best selling themes based on your category. This is a great list if you want to see the best selling themes of all time.
- Trending Items – this shows you a list of themes that are starting to gain popularity. When a new theme comes onto the market, it won’t have many sales yet but it might be starting to become popular in a short amount of time.
- Best Rated – this will show you themes that have been rated highly by people who have purchased the theme.
- Choose the theme that suits your website and purchase it.
So best of luck with choosing your theme and keep and eye out for our training video on how to install your theme.